NET/Link graphics

When I use the MathPictureBox from within Mathematica it works just fine. But when I try to use it from a dotNET program, and set the MathCommand string I always get a System.Format error, saying that the string is the wrong format. MathPictureBox uses the EvaluateToGraphics method. When I try to use this in my code I get the same error, even when I paste the API example directly into my code.

ie:
ml.EvaluateToImage("Plot[x,{x,0,1}]", 400, 400);

this is driving me nuts. Any ideas?