FindMaximum doesn't work?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg47784] FindMaximum doesn't work?
  • From: suomesta at (Carol Ting)
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 02:42:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi List,

I have one function which is defined only for a certain range of its
independent variable:

This function is decreasing in c so the maximum should be at 1.4.
However, when the initial guess I give is greater than 2.6,
FindMaximum only returns the values at that point.

For example,

But when I give

Then it works.

My program uses a While loop to generate piecewise functions (I only
put the piece containting the global maximum here).  The maximum
condition is needed to decide whether to terminate the loop so I
cannot always stop the execution and keep throwing in different

Did I do anything wrong, or is this a bug?  Thanks a lot!