Odd evaluate behavior in notebooks...

I get this really odd evaluate situation quite a bit -- I'll go hit
alt-enter on a windows box to run a section in a notebook, and it does
nothing.  However, if I remove some comment lines (literally deleting them),
it will suddenly start running again!  No, my comment lines are not open
(e.g. I didn't leave a *) missing), and the behavior is a bit random...
Anyone ever come across this?

--j