'Mathematica 5 not finding important resource'
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg49911] 'Mathematica 5 not finding important resource'
- From: Oliver Pfeiffer <oliver.pfeiffer at unileoben.ac.at>
- Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Montanuniversität Leoben
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dear group, I'm coming here with some strange kind of problem. I recently upgraded from Mathetmatica 4.2 to 5.0.1. To be more precise, I uninstalled 4.2 and did a fresh install of 5.0.1, but when I start the program (any of the start menu points 'Kernel' or 'GUI'), all I get is a dialog box complaining "Mathematica could not find an important resource", which didn't happen with 4.2. After clicking 'Ok', Mathematica exits. I've attached a jpeg image of the dialog box for full reference. I don't run it from a server, I have a normal hard disk installation, and doing a clean reinstall twice didn't help either. I wonder if this could be a known problem, but I could not find any documentation on the net (yet!). Btw, I'm running Mathematica on a German version of Windows 98, a collegue of mine running Windows 2000 English version does not have this problem. And sorry, upgrading to Windows 2000 is not an option... [Contact the author to obtain the jpeg image - moderator] Any help appreciated, Oliver Pfeiffer