Nonlinearfit (real function with complex entries)

Hello,

I have a real function whose individual terms are complex
(they sum up to a real number). The functions involved are
digamma functions and trigonometric.

When I use this function in NonlinearFit, I get the following
error:

FindMinimum::"fqnum": "Objective function or gradient is not real

General::"stop": "Further output of FindMinimum :: "fqnum" will be
suppressed during this calculation."

I guess the problem is that the function is real only upto an
infinitesimally small imaginary part ( of the order 10^{-16} ) set
by the machine accuracy.

I tried the following: Chop, ComplexExpand, Re, defining the
derivates explicitly and then chopping it and a lot of other things.

Could someone out there please help me?

Thanking you in advance - alex