  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50007] x-ArcSin[Sin[x]]
  • From: Paul Muller < at>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 05:53:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear all,

I know this question was already discussed in 1995 (that's what I found in Google), but
I would like to know if anything has been changed in the Mathematica implementation of

I am calculating the magnetic field in any point of the plane of a spire (or spiral
inductor). When I apply this to the center of the spire, I get the following integral:

Integrate[Sin[x+ArcSin[Sin[Pi/2-x]]], {x, 0, 2Pi}]

According to textbook results for magnetic fields, the result should be 2Pi. Because of
the definition of ArcSin[Sin[x]] in Mathematica, the integral results in Pi.
Maybe I'm not careful enough when using the ArcSin function on the angles of
my geometric problem (I'm an engineer, not a mathematician), but it would
be helpful if this integral was solved "correctly".

Any updates on this are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Paul Muller