GUIKit FileDialog Widget

When I bring up this widget it starts with a display of the file
structure starting in a specific directory (My Network Data) and
allows files of type "All files". I wish to use Mathematic/GUIKit to
1) change the initial directory to something of my choice.
2) provide a file filter string *.gif to restrict files displayed and
selected.

How can this be done, preferably without delving into Java (about
which I know even less than GUIKit)?

I am running Mathematica 5.0.1.0, GUIKit 1.0.0 on windows XP.

Peter Dickof