Re: Simply derivative question, Math 5.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50257] Re: [mg50240] Simply derivative question, Math 5.
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 06:34:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

As the Mathematica Book (printed or electronic) explains, ALL built-in
objects in Mathematica have names that begin with an upper-case letter.
  So the Napierian "e" is represented by E, not e.  (Or, if you want it
to   look more like conventional mathematical notation, type Esc e Esc
to obtain the Mathematica stylized e; in fact, you'll see that stylized
e in the result.)

So Mathematica was treating e as an unknown constant and gave the
correct answer.

When e = E, then Log[e] = 1, so no "extra" factor:

   D[(1 + c E^t)/(1 - c E^t), t] // Simplify

By the way, you don't need an explicit multiplication operator after the
c here -- just a space (so Mathematica can see you have two
single-letter names rather than a two-letter name cE).

It's REALLY worth a couple hours of your time to read the early material
in the Mathematica Book!  It will save you a lot of time avoiding such
basic difficulties.

Ted Kahn wrote:
> Hello- I am trying to take the derivative of the following function:
> (1 + c*e^t)/(1 - c*e^t)
> with respect to t.
> \!\(Simplify[D[\(1 + c\ e\^t\)\/\(1 - c\ e\^t\), t]]\)
> The answer I get includes an "extra" Log[e] in the numerator. Am I not
> using the program correctly or am I not understanding the answer
> correctly? Other?
> thanks, -ted

Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305