New webMathematica site:

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg50345] New webMathematica site:
  • From: "Gareth J. Russell" <gjr2008 at>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:37:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I just wanted to let people know about a new webMathematica website I am
developing that makes basic (and ultimately, more advanced) calculation
tools for ecology and conservation biology available, free, to a global
audience (i.e., in particular, conservation practitioners in developing
countries who have limited access to software and training).

It just has some basic tools right now (timeseries autocorrelation,
ordination, life history matrix calculations, etc.). I am seeking
funding to develop it properly.

One of the key features of the site is that all code is open source --
each module has a fully-annotated notebook which autosaves as the exact
package that performs the calculations. I mention this just in case any
of you code wizards are stuck on a rainy Sunday afternoon with nothing
to do, and fancy critiquing the coding efforts of an enthusastic
ecologist. I'm sure there are mistakes and sub-optimal procedures
scattered throughout. You would, literally, be doing the world a favor.

Anyway, I hope you approve of the idea of the site, and you should know
that any cooments or suggestions are more than welcome.

Gareth Russell
Columbia University