Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52550] Re: launching a kernel on a remote linux machine through ssh from a linux machine
  • From: rschmied at gmail.com (walter)
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 05:58:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

D Herring wrote:
> lamo:> link=LinkCreate["PORT1", LinkProtocol->"tcpip"]
> .... Why does this command open up 2 ports??
> .... LinkCreate["PORT1,PORT2"] gives me control over both...
> lamo>> netstat -at
> .... (Linux command) see that PORT1 is open for listening

here is where I think I have the problem: "netstat -at" on lamo gives
me no open ports that are due to my executing the LinkCreate command
on lamo. I suppose my firewall is too paranoid (default Fedora Core 2
settings). Would anyone out there know how to fix this? I use iptables
for a firewall.

Actually, just saying LinkCreate[LinkProtocol->"tcpip"] figures out
two random port numbers by itself.

Cheers!
         Walter.