Re: Re: Finding the Fourier transform of discrete functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52568] Re: [mg52524] Re: Finding the Fourier transform of discrete functions
  • From: DrBob <drbob at bigfoot.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:21:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>> what is a "discrete function".
>> if it is a function, the parameter is continuous and FourierTransform[]
>> compute the transformation.

A discrete function is a function with a discrete domain.

For instance, this is a discrete function on the obvious domain:

f[x_Integer]/;1<=x<=12 = Sin@x

It is NOT the Sin function, for the simple reason that the domain of a function (in math or mathematica) is part of its definition.

Bobby

DrBob at bigfoot.com
www.eclecticdreams.net