Re: changing parts of a list of lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52606] Re: changing parts of a list of lists
  • From: astanoff_otez_ceci at yahoo.fr (astanoff)
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:07:46 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dan Drake wrote:

> I'm working with a list of lists, such as {{1,2}, {3}, {4,5,6}}, and I
> want to go through and make changes to each sublist, but I get the error
> message "Set::setps: {{0,0,0},{0},{0}} in assignment of part is not a
> symbol."
> I don't quite understand what's going on. Here's a toy example that
> shows the error:
> f[x:{__List}] := For[i=1, i <= Length[x], i++, x[[i]] = {1, 2, 3}]
[...]

Dan,

Let me quote David B. Wagner : "the best of doing something [with
Mathematica]
is almost never the procedural way".

So you better not use For, Do or While to do what you want to do.

Why not simply use Map or MapAt?

In addition it's often better performance not to modify a large list in
place.

For example if you want to prepend a zero to each of your sublists
you could do it this way :

In[1]:=myList = {{1,2},{3},{4,5,6}};

In[2]:=newList = Map[Prepend[#,0]&,myList]

Out[2]={{0,1,2},{0,3},{0,4,5,6}}

hth

Valeri

--
0% de pub! Que du bonheur et des vrais adhérents !
Vous aussi inscrivez-vous sans plus tarder!!