Re: Complex Analysis using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52656] Re: Complex Analysis using Mathematica
  • From: David Bailey <dave at Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 04:09:43 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Pratik Desai wrote:
> Here we go again,
>
> I have to define a complex function
> So I go through this procedure to define that the variables are  really "real"
>
> TagSet[p, Im[p], 0];
> TagSet[a, Im[a], 0];
> TagSet[b, Im[b], 0];
> TagSet[p, Re[p], p];
> TagSet[a, Re[a], a];
> TagSet[b, Re[b], b];
> lamda = a + I*b
> z = ComplexExpand[lamda*p]
> x=Re[z]
> y=Im[z]
> TagSet[u, Im[u[x, y]], 0];
> TagSet[v, Im[v[x, y]], 0];
> TagSet[x, Re[x], x];
> TagSet[y, Re[y], y];
> TagSet[u, Re[u[x, y]], u[x, y]];
> TagSet[v, Re[v[x, y]], v[x, y]];
>

> Then I define my actual function
>
> u1 = TrigToExp[Sinh[z]] (*By this time I have realized that
> Mathematica or for that matter most of the CAS work better with
> exponentials when it comes to complex analysis*)
>
> u[x, y] = Re[u1]
> v[x, y] = Im[u1]
>
> The problem I face is that the software is not able to identify x and y
> as I have defined above. May be I am making a trivial mistake. Please
> advise
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pratik Desai

Pratik,

I think the most useful way to procede would be if you gave an explicit,
simple example of the kind of input you would like to give Mathematica
and the kind of output you would like it to produce. I am fairly certain
that if you do this you will get a whole bunch of replies telling you
how to achieve it and they will look a lot neater than what you have at
present!

Regards,

David Bailey