Newbie Question -- Plot3d::plnc

When I enter the following two statements into Mathematica 5:

xtimesy[x_, y_] := x*y;
Plot3D[xtimesy[x y], {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5}]

I receive a huge cascade of errors, all of this form:

Plot3D::plnc: xtimesy[x\y] is neither a machine-size real number at \
{x,y}={-5.,-5.} nor a list of a real number and a valid color
directive.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Jake