[Splines] Defining piecewise functions over a variable number of intervals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52692] [Splines] Defining piecewise functions over a variable number of intervals
  • From: "m0NoiD" <phloam at myrealbox.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:22:53 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I know you can define a function piecewise with If[] statements, and
even better with Which[].  I am wondering if there is a way to
construct a piecewise function when the number of intervals is not
known in advance.

I am trying to find a way to compute cubic splines for any number of
data points.  The data points will be the input.  Then it will compute
the coefficients of the polynomials.

The thing I then need is a subroutine which will take any number of
coefficients as input and construct piecewise cubic polynomials.

I am looking for the most efficient way to do this.  I am guessing it
will require some sort of pattern matching, but I am not sure so that
is why I need help.

Thank you,

Steve