Re: a strange line of code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52743] Re: [mg52710] a strange line of code
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:22:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Dec 9, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Stefan Schuster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in a notebook, I found and function to calculate the Feigenbaum
> bifurcation Diagram.
> I principial understand the Feigenbaum, and I think I'm also able to
> write such an funcion by myself, but not in this compact way.
>
> Can someone please explain me the meaning of the Symbols #, @ and &
>
> Here is the Code:
>
> Feigenbaum = Compile[{{
>      ?, _Real}}, ({?, #} &) /@ Union[Drop[NestList[
>        ? # (1 - #) &, 0.2, 300], 100]]];
>
> thanks in advance

If you have a copy of Mathematica you can enter the symbols directly
into the input field of the Help Browser and get information on the
appropriate function.  Note that it's /@ not @.  Since the information
is in the Help Browser it shouldn't be necessary to explain all the
symbols, but if you're in a hurry in short:

& is an anonymous function

# refers to the first argument of an anonymous function as it's applied
to an argument

/@ applies a function to each element of a list/

If you don't have experience programming in Mathematica the above is
probably not very helpful, but the Help Browser will provide sufficient
links that you should be able to understand the above information.

Regards,

Ssezi