Re: Suse 9.2 + mathematica 5.0 problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52780] Re: Suse 9.2 + mathematica 5.0 problem
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons at globalsymmetry.com>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:22:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Eduardo Nogueira wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  (1) With Mathematica  5.0 installed  in a Toshiba  Satellite with Linux
>  Suse
> 9.2  I am unable to work with notebooks as anything typed comes with a
> cell
> of standard form type  and not input form. When a try to change the cell
> input form,  in the menu, the cursor turns itself into  a "hand-tool"  (as
> in acrobat reader).
>
> (1) Mathematica behaves normally when using   math and working in the
> terminal command line.
>
> Thanks for your attention
>
> Eduardo

From my _VERY_ unofficial guide to Mathematica:

Information about the system.

What is this key?  Help->X Environment Information->Find Keys and Modifiers

This will show you the name of the key you are pressing. It's useful when
someone tells you to hit the Multi key, and you don't have a clue as to
what they're talking about. It's also useful when you find that your cursor
won't act normally when you try to use it to get the input focus in a Mathematica
notebook. This happens when you have toggled the state determined by the
Mod2 key, and now, for no apparent reason, your cursor turns into a hand
when you move it over the Mathematica notebook. After searching the web for an
explanation, you discover that you aren't the only person to have
experienced this. Indeed there is a very helpful tech-note explaining that
the Mod2 key is active. You are simply unaware that this means the Num Lock
is on.
--
"Philosophy is written in this grand book, The Universe. ... But the book
cannot be understood unless one first learns to comprehend the language...