Re: pdf[d,x] vs. function(x)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52878] Re: pdf[d,x] vs. function(x)
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:27:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/14/04 at 6:00 AM, user at domain.com (Scout) wrote:

>Given the symbol  p = PDF [ NormalDistribution, x ] (where PDF is
>the Probability Density Function) which declares an expression in
>x, I want to build a new function, i.e. f(z)=p with the parameter z
>instead, but I obtain an error. How can I do? Thanks, Scout?

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to do. It looks to me as if you are trying to simply replace x with z when f(z) is defined. If so, then look at the following:

In[1]:=<< "Statistics`"
In[2]:=p = PDF[NormalDistribution[0, 1], x]

Out[2]=1/(E^(x^2/2)*Sqrt[2*Pi])

In[3]:=f[z_] = p /. x -> z
Out[3]=1/(E^(z^2/2)*Sqrt[2*Pi])

But if this is your goal, it seems to me it would have been simpler to define p as a function in the first place, i.e.,

p[x]:= PDF[NormalDistribution[0,1],x]

then whenver you want to use a different variable such as z you would simply use p[z]