Re: about Package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52917] Re: about Package
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:42:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 12/15/04 at 4:27 AM, physics.nsu at bdvn.vnd.net (Khoa Vat Ly)
wrote:

>I make a package, but I don't know put it in  what mathematica's
>directory to call it if I need
>Because I 'm new mathmember. If you know how about that, please
>guide me(in detail) .

If you are using version 5.0 or later, I suggest the best place to but packages you create would in the directory that is returned by $UserBaseDirectory. Simply type $UserBaseDirectory into a empty cell and do shift-enter to have Mathematica evaluate the cell.

If you are using something earlier than version 5.0, evaluate $Path in Mathematica to see what directories Mathematica will search for packages. Any of these directories will do what you want. But I would not use one of the directories in the NaddOns/StandardPackages hierarchy. These are replaced when you upgrade to new version. Customizing these directories means a lot more work to install new versions and retain your customizations.

Finally, you can any directory you like to the list Mathematica will search for packages. This can be done with

$Path=Flatten@{directoryName, $Path};

A good place to put this is in the init.m file that executes whenever Mathematica is started.