Re: slow eigenvectors and eigenvalues

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg52974] Re: slow eigenvectors and eigenvalues
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 03:59:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The eigenvectors of a Toeplitz matrix (a very large one, so that the edge
effects can be ignored) is made up of sine waves. This is because the left
hand side of the eigenequation T.x=a x is a convolution, so if you transform
to Fourier space it is a multiplication (i.e. the convolution theorem),
which is a diagonal operation whose eigenvectors are the individual Fourier
components.

Steve Luttrell

news:cpueev$gc5$1 at smc.vnet.net...