Re: Re: finite domains

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53046] Re: [mg53028] Re: finite domains
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:19:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Paul,

I looked at the article and I understand that for that particular case.
However that case fell back in the definition on an already existing
infinite domain of the same order namely Z. There is also a similar
definition in the Book for Odd numbers.

In my case I cannot fall back on an existing finite domain, or I do not
know how to explore/exploite it with Boolean.

I am thinking of a domain named Irany having elements
{North,East,South,West}. How can I do that without a reference to a
more basic domain as foundation and expect that
Element[NorthWest,Irany] will give me False?

Thanks ahead,

János
On Dec 20, 2004, at 6:34 AM, Paul Abbott wrote:

> In article <cp3t2v$9ai$1 at smc.vnet.net>, János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> When I look the book I see just infinite built-in domains, like
>> Integer etc... I am wondering if finite domains can be created and if
>> all the domain related functions would work on it. As an example, I
>> have {North, West, South, East} in mind.
>>
> To add a domain see The Mathematica Journal 7(4): 450-451.
>
> Cheers,
> Paul
>
> -- Paul Abbott  Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
> School of Physics, M013  Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
> The University of Western Australia (CRICOS Provider No 00126G) 35
> Stirling Highway
> Crawley WA 6009 mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au AUSTRALIA
> http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

Trying to argue with a politician is like lifting up the head of a
corpse.
(S. Lem: His Master Voice)