Re: Printing Error Messages to "Messages" Window?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53036] Re: Printing Error Messages to "Messages" Window?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:19:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <cp3sft$95o$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Can I arrange for error messages (things like  NIntegrate::"ploss" : and
> more or less any others of this sort) to be printed to the "Messages"
> window rather than the notebook that's being evaluated?  (but still with
> the usual beep)

Yes.

[1] From the menu

  Format | Option Inspector...

[2] Type in

  messag

and hit return.

[3] Change

  "KernelMessageAction"

so that it has

  "PrintToConsole"

rather than

  "PrintToNotebook"

> I assume that this has something to do with setting the options for
> $FrontEnd, but I don't find documentation for terms like
> "PrintToConsole" and "PrintToNotebook" that I find when I look at those
> options.

They are explained under the

  "KernelMessageAction"

entry. Try typing

  "K

into the input field when

  Front End

is selected in the HelpBrowser. You can also view (and set) the options
from the command line using commands like

  MessageOptions /. Options[$FrontEnd]

Cheers,
Paul

--
Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 6488 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 6488 1014
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul