Re: Information about subscripted function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53063] Re: Information about subscripted function
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 04:52:57 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You need to use the Notation package to Symbolize your function. Copy the
Cell Expressions below into a Mathematica notebook, and evaluate to see the
required result. I have included full cell expressions so you can see what
is going on more clearly.

CAVEAT: when you use Symbolize (and other functions in the Notation package)
you should enter it using the Notation palette that appears when you execute
<<Utilities`Notation`, rather than entering it manually. This is because
there is some hidden tagbox information that is generated.

{
Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"<<", "Utilities`Notation`"}]], "Input",
  CellLabel->"In[1]:="],

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"Symbolize", "[",
      TagBox[
        SubscriptBox["f", "1"],
        NotationBoxTag,
        TagStyle->"NotationTemplateStyle"], "]"}]], "Input",
  CellLabel->"In[2]:="],

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{
      RowBox[{
        SubscriptBox["f", "1"], "[", "x_", "]"}], ":=",
      RowBox[{"x", "^", "2"}]}]], "Input",
  CellLabel->"In[4]:="],

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"?",