Excel Link Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53080] Excel Link Problem
  • From: actuary at mchsi.com
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:58:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello:

I'm working on a project that involves calculating Maximum Likelihood
Estimates of the 6 parameters of a 2 Regime LSwitching LogNormal Model.

I developed a Mathematica program to describe the Likelihood function.
The program produces correct values.  I verified the results by
comparing results to values produced by another program that has been
professionally peer reviewed.

I placed my Mathematica code into a M-Code sheet of an Excel
spreadsheet and can successfully call the function using Excel Link.

The problem that I have is that after using Solver to correctly
calculate a set of MLE values for a given set of starting values,
subsequent calls produce an error.  The error message reads "Argument
Not Optional".  The message appears to be generated as a result of
running a Visual Basic Application which confuses me since I am not
knowingly running a VBA program.  If I close the spreadsheet and reopen
I can then correctly use Solver one time before encountering the same
problem.

Any help in understanding and resolving this problem would be
appreciated.

Larry