Re: Information about subscripted function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg53116] Re: Information about subscripted function
  • From: "Steve Luttrell" <steve_usenet at _removemefirst_luttrell.org.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 05:59:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<seb at magda.ifj.edu.pl> wrote in message news:cqefl3$kr1$1 at smc.vnet.net...
> In article <cqbh5h$4jd$1 at smc.vnet.net>, Steve Luttrell wrote:
>> You need to use the Notation package to Symbolize your function. Copy the
>> CAVEAT: when you use Symbolize (and other functions in the Notation
>> package)
>> you should enter it using the Notation palette that appears when you
>> execute
>> <<Utilities`Notation`, rather than entering it manually. This is because
>> there is some hidden tagbox information that is generated.
>
> thanks,
> Symbolize is what I wanted! On equestion: what to do if I close the
> pallete by a mistake, load the package again ?
>
> I've also found a usefull function:
>
> SymbolizeSubscript[f_, k_] :=
>  Symbolize[NotationBoxTag[SubscriptBox[ToString[f], ToString[k]]]]
>
> By the way, the  Symbolize function seems to be so obviuos and
> useful, why it is hidden so "deep" in ExtraPackages instead
> of being a standard function of Math ?
>
> cheers
>
> Seb

Here is a Cell expression (paste it into a notebook) that contains a button
that does what you need. This is a slightly modified version of the button
already on the notation palette that loads the longer/shorter version of the
notation palette (which is inaccessible if you inadvertently close the
notation palette!). You can put this button in any place that is handy for
you.

Cell[BoxData[
    ButtonBox[
      StyleBox[
        RowBox[{"Notation", "\[NonBreakingSpace]", "Palette"}],
        FontFamily->"Helvetica",
        FontColor->GrayLevel[1]],
      ButtonFunction:>(FrontEndExecute[ {
          FrontEnd`NotebookOpen[

            FrontEnd`ToFileName[ {$TopDirectory, "AddOns",
              "ExtraPackages", "Utilities", "Palettes", "English",
              "NotationPalette.nb"}]]}]&),
      ButtonStyle->None,
      Background->RGBColor[0.100008, 0.100008, 0.4],
      ButtonNote->"NotationPalette"]], "Input",
  CellMargins->{{Inherited, Inherited}, {0, Inherited}},
  Active->True]

Steve Luttrell