Re: N[] does not work inside Replace[] ?

It's just the difference between Rule and RuleDelayed. Observe:

(inputs)
N[y]
Rule[x_,y_]->Rule[x,N[y]]

(outputs)
(x_ -> y_) -> x -> y

The right hand side of Rule is evaluated immediately, before it's applied to any expression, so N goes away.

Both of these approaches work, however:

(inputs)
s = a -> 10/3;
s /. Rule[x_, y_] :> Rule[x, N[y]]