Re: how to test if 2 expressions are the same? Mathematica 5.0

Hi,

first of all for complex x  the expressions,
a*Log[x]
and
Log[x^a]

are *not* the same.

SameQ[] tests to an identity and it does no
simplifications that might be possible.

That's the reason why

1 - Cos[phi]^2 == Sin[phi]^2

is unevaluated while

1 - Cos[phi]^2 == Sin[phi]^2 // FullSimplify

return True.

Regards
  Jens