Maximize function question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46221] Maximize function question
  • From: "David" <nospam at nospam.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:15:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am attempting to perform a constrained optimization in Mathematica 5.0 on
the objective function:

f(K,L)=aK+wL s.t. K^0.5 + L^0.5=Q  where a,w,Q are constant.

I define:
    objA[K_,L_]:=rK+wL
and
    constraintsA = {K^0.5+L^0.5==Q,K>=0, L>=0}

After which I try to evaluate

    Maximize[{objA[K,L],constraintsA},{K,L}]

However, I receive an error message that the objective function contains a
nonconstant expression independent of variables {K,L}.

Though the calculation is trivial and is easy to do by hand, I would like to
be able to figure out how to do these types of optimization problems not
having to assign real numbers to the constants for future use.  Is there an
elegent way to do this?

Your collective help is greatly appreciated.