Re: Re: Help Browser issue in 5.0.1 on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg46487] Re: [mg46464] Re: Help Browser issue in 5.0.1 on Mac OS X
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <sh2.7183 at>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 00:29:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Gary and Mike,

I'm not sure whether the difference is between Mathematica 5.0 and
5.0.1 or between Jaguar and Panther. Previously, there was a problem
with the horizontal scroll bar, and now there is a problem with
vertical scroll bars.

However, one thing you can do to improve the Help Browser is to
edit/rearrange the BrowserCategories.m file that lives inside
Mathematica 5.0/Documentation/English/AddOns. In particular, you can
arrange for Standard Packages and Applications to appear at the top of
the second column.

Here's what mine looks like:

BrowserCategory["Add-ons", None,
"StandardPackages"}]}, False],

{FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "Applications",
         FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "Applications",

     HelpDirectoryListing[{FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns",
"Applications", "AuthorTools"}]}, False, True],
     HelpDirectoryListing[{FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns",
"Applications", "XMLCapabilities"}]}, False, True],
     HelpDirectoryListing[{FrontEnd`FileName[{"AddOns", "MathLink"}]},
     HelpDirectoryListing[{FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns",
"JLink"}]}, False, True],
     HelpDirectoryListing[{FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns",
"NETLink"}]}, False, True],
"AddOns"}]}, {FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "JLink"}],
         FrontEnd`FileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "NETLink"}]}],

     BrowserCategory["Working with Add-ons", None,
       Item["Introduction", "InstallingPackages.nb",
CopyTag->"AddOnsIntro", IndexTag->"Introduction"],
       Item["Using Add-ons", "InstallingPackages.nb",
             CopyTag->"UsingAddOns", IndexTag->"Using Add-ons"],
       Item["Installing New Add-ons", "InstallingPackages.nb",
CopyTag->"AddOnInstall", IndexTag->"Installing New Add-ons" ]

Selwyn Hollis
(edit reply-to to reply)