Re: Limits

Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> and your teachers have not told you that Exp[x]
> grow stronger than any negative power can decay ?

Perhaps they have told him that. (I certainly hope so!) And so perhaps
Ronny already knew that the limit is Infinity, and just wondered why
Mathematica couldn't evaluate such a simple limit.

First, let me note that version 5 has no problem evaluating that limit.

But for version 4.2, Ronny, look at this:

In[1]:= Limit[E^n/n^3, n -> Infinity]

Out[1]= Limit[E^n/n^3, n -> Infinity]

(* That's what you were complaining about. *)

(* The line below loads an add-on package. *)

In[2]:= << "Calculus`Limit`"

In[3]:= Limit[E^n/n^3, n -> Infinity]

Out[3]= Infinity

But one reason I don't like the above method is that that add-on
package has quite a few quirks itself. In this particular case though,
it helped.

David Cantrell