Errors evaluating InputForm[graphic]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46504] Errors evaluating InputForm[graphic]
  • From: deo6 at prodigy.net (David O'Gorman)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:58:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have discovered apparent errors when converting 3D graphics of
Mathematica into InputForm and then back to regular output, although
presumably I am missing something that someone in this group can
straighten out.  (I am using Mathematica 5.0.1 under Windows 2000.)

Consider this example:

Plot3D[Sin[x y],{x,0,4},{y,0,4}, AxesLabel->{"x/x0", "y/y0", "z"}]

Mathematica correctly generates the output graphic.

If one selects the cell containing this graphic, converts it to
InputForm using the Convert menu selection from the Cell menu, cursors
the beginning of this InputForm text, and sets this InputForm data
equal to pic using the Set statement (i.e., pic=stuff); then the
graphic subsequently generated by typing Show[pic] is completely
different than the original graphic.  Specifically, only the bounding
box is visible and the axis labels are messed up (e.g., the
“/” character is misplaced).

Does anyone how to fix this behavior?

(Being able to restore graphics without recomputing the underlying
data is very important.  It vastly simplifies the tweaking of graphics
for presentation purposes.  In other words, you shouldn’t have
to completely recompute data just to change the font size of the axis
labels. Help on this issue would be very much appreciated, and I
apologize if it has been dealt with before. I searched the archive but
couldn’t find it.)

David O’Gorman
deo6 at prodigy.net