How can I graph a characteristic equation dx/dt=v?????
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg46527] How can I graph a characteristic equation dx/dt=v?????
- From: HPerea at uswcl.ars.ag.gov
- Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:27:25 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I have a grid where I know the velocity v[x,t] in each node. What I want to do is to graph the characteristic equation dx/dt=v using the velocity values. I couldn't graph this equation correctly with Mathematica. In my problem, if v->0 the characteristic curve has to be vertical and if v->infinite the curve is horizontal. o (x2,t2) / | / | / | 1 This is a picture of my problem. / | I know the velocity at the point (x1,t1) / | but I don't know the point (x2,t2). (x1,t1) o ---------o 1 / v Do you think that I can graph the characteristic curves for this problem using Mathematica?? I really appreciate your help.... Thanks Hugo Perea-Estrada PhD. Student The University of Arizona Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department Email: HPerea at uswcl.ars.ag.gov hugop at ag.arizona.edu hugo at email.arizona.edu