Inversion using Cholesky Decomposition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46587] Inversion using Cholesky Decomposition
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at wiwi.uni-regensburg.de>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:04:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup Members,
I have to invert large (sparse) positive definite
symmetric  matrices. The fastest way to perform
these inversions would  be to use the Cholesky
decomposition. I read in the  documentation for
Inverse:

"A Method option can also be given. Possible
settings  are as for LinearSolve."

However, when I tried to give the option
Inverse[m, Method->Cholesky],
Mathematica answers with an error message.

It is, of course, possible to perform the inversion
by hand,  i.e. to obtain the CholeskyDecomposition[]
of the matrix and  to compute the inverse by forward
or backward substitution.  This is, however, slower
than calling Inverse directly  because the
substitution does not allow to exploit the  highly
efficient internal Mathematica code.

Two Questions:
[1] Is there any way to provide the Cholesky option
to  Mathematica?

[2] Or checks Mathematica automatically whether the
cholesky  decomposition is applicable?

Thanks for help,
	Johannes Ludsteck
Johannes Ludsteck