Re: Howto turn off using symbols to tag objects?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg46597] Re: Howto turn off using symbols to tag objects?
- From: Bill Rowe <browe51 at earthlink.net>
- Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:06:52 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 2/24/04 at 9:04 PM, mvdv at spamcop.net (mvyver) wrote: >Hi, Does anyone know how to turn this feature off? The section in >the documentation "Using symbols to tag objects" is silent. My >problem is that when trying to remove alphabet characters from a >string I'm told that "123k" is a number!! >NumberQ[ToExpression["123k"]] True Right after I sent a response I realized exactly how you could get this result. If you have k set to a numeric value before you execute this statement Mathematica will do the following convert the string to Times[123, k] then evaluate this with the numeric value assigned to k resulting in a number.