need help with writing algorithm for polynomial gcd!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46627] need help with writing algorithm for polynomial gcd!
  • From: Tina Fisher <removethis.tina.fisher at liwest.at>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:53:17 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I know MATHEMATICA has a built in function to computer the polynomial
GCD ...

but:

what if I need to write a small M-program that does the following:

given two polynomials in the form [a0,a1, ..., ak], [b0,b1,...bj] -
i.e. coefficients only

now compute the polynomial gcd (we only consider real numbers, no
finite fields or evil stuff...! ... that is the good part!)

what would be an efficient algorithm to do this?

note: the GCD / polynomialGCD function of MATHEMATICA must not be
used, other built-in functions, even for polynomials, are allowed!

thanks a lot for any assistance, I have googled long without success!

<<< Tina >>>
--
Controller: "I know but this guy has no flying experience at all. He's a
menace to himself and everything else in the air... yes, birds too."