Extracting Matrix

Re Mathematica 5.0 running under WinXP Home.

Am using...

    z = Regress[...RegressionReport->CovarianceMatrix];
    X = CovarianceMatrix /. z;

...to extract the given matrix.

However, when I use X[[k,k]] to access the k'th diagonal element, I get
a row instead!  The culprit is that MatrixForm is the X-head (as
FullForm reveals).

How can I strip away this head and make X a list of lists?

Thankx.

Bruce