finding eigenvalues

I have been wondering on whether there exist methods to find the eigenvalues
of a matrix other than solving the characteristic polynomial equation.  Do
there exist elementary row operation methods that will find the real
eigenvalues of a matrix?

I have been using a site that will find the eigenvalues of a matrix and I'm
wondering how it does it because I'm pretty sure its not doing it by solving
the characteristic equation.

Jeremy