finding eigenvalues

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg45459] finding eigenvalues
  • From: "Jeremy Watts" <jeremy.watts70 at>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 05:20:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I have been wondering on whether there exist methods to find the eigenvalues
of a matrix other than solving the characteristic polynomial equation.  Do
there exist elementary row operation methods that will find the real
eigenvalues of a matrix?

I have been using a site that will find the eigenvalues of a matrix and I'm
wondering how it does it because I'm pretty sure its not doing it by solving
the characteristic equation.