Mathematica for Macintosh questions.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg4560] Mathematica for Macintosh questions.
  • From: Rachel <tic at>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:05:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I recently purchased a used Macintosh G4 which came with
Mathematica. I am a college student, and one of the classes I'm
taking this symester is Prepatory Mathematics. Next symester I'll
be taking College Algebra.

What I'm wondering is: is Mathematica a suitable program for
these rather low-level courses, or is it much too advanced? I
*really* want to absorb Algebra, but I'm simply not sure if this
is the right tool for the stage I'm at. My professor recommended
the website, but unfortunately it
appears to be Windows-only.

Also, how does the licensing work? Will I have to contact the
person I purchased the computer from, or will I have to
re-register? I know there is a student discount available, but I
don't know if I'd have to buy that or not.

Sorry for the neophyte questions, hopefully someone can help.