Padding arrays with reversed elements

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45636] Padding arrays with reversed elements
  • From: Mariusz Jankowski<mjankowski at usm.maine.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:57:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all, a recently posted question on "creating a toroidal data structure"
and the the responses have inspired me to post the following similar but
harder problem. I am interested in "reflected" padding of multidimensional
arrays. Here is an example in 1D:

{a,b,c,d} -> {a,b,c,d,d,c,b,a,a,b,c,d,d,c, etc}

also the padding should be possible on the left or right or both and of
course, the length is an argument. I have a complicated looking solution
using PadRight, Fold, Partition and would love to see some ideas leading to
a possibly simpler solution.

Thanks, Mariusz