Re: Anyone using the Units package extensively?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45682] Re: Anyone using the Units package extensively?
  • From: AES/newspost <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 05:15:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <buaov3$mih$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 1/16/04 at 7:58 PM, siegman at stanford.edu (AES/newspost) wrote:
>
> > Can't say I do this extensively, but I routinely define
>
> >     deg = Pi/180.
>
> FWIW, this isn't needed since Degree is already defined as Pi/180
> --
> To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

True enough, but in many cases I actually wantjust a simple real value
"Pi/180." (note period), not "Pi/180" -- for instance so that various
text labels in Plots and values in Tables get displayed as simple real
number rather than as awkwardly formatted fractions.

More generally, I believe Degree has some other sophisticated or
non-obvious consequences built in, and I'd prefer not to get caught by
any of those.