RE: Re: Wolfram Functions Site

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg45690] RE: [mg45676] Re: Wolfram Functions Site
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:08:01 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Thanks Harold!

Your listing of Advanced options solved the problem for me. I had to turn on

      x	Always expand ALT text for images

and now all the boxes display on first visiting a page.

David Park
djmp at

From: Harold Noffke [mailto:Harold.Noffke at]
To: mathgroup at

Maybe there is a grain of help in my own MS Internet Explorer browser
settings (below), as I have had no problems with the Functions site.
Also, you may want to check with your ISP to make sure everything is
being downloaded properly at their own stage of the process.

There might be a lag in your browser updates.  Mine are ...

		Update Versions:; SP1; Q324929; Q328970; Q810847;
		Q818529; Q330994; Q822925; Q828750; Q824145;

You may have an older Java environment.  My new one, as of advice in
Dec-03, is ...

	Java runtime environment for Windows.
                    Look for Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1_05 for

You may have your Security set too high.  Mine is ...

	"Security > Security level for this zone" -> Medium

You may have different "Advanced" settings than I do.  Mine is ...

      x	Always expand ALT text for images
      	Move system caret with focus/selection changes

      x Always send URLs as UTF-8 (requires restart)
      	Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates
      	Close unused folders in History and Favorites (requires
      x	Disable script debugging
        Display a notification about every script error
      x Enable folder view for FTP sites
      x Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
      x Enable Install On Demand (Other)
      x Enable offline items to be synchronized on a schedule
        Enable page transitions
        Enable Personalized Favorites Menu
      x Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)
        Force offscreen compositing even under Terminal Server
(requires restart)
        Notify when downloads complete
        Reuse windows for launching shortcuts
      x Show friendly HTTP error messages
      x Show friendly URLs
        Show Go button in Address bar
      x Show Internet Explorer on the desktop

      Underline links
         x Always

      x Use inline AutoComplete
        Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)
        Use smooth scrolling

   HTTP 1.1 settings
      x Use HTTP 1.1
        Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections

   Java (Sun)
      x Use Java 2 v1.3.1_05 for <applet> (requires restart)

   Microsoft VM
      x Java console enabled (requires restart)
      x Java logging enabled
      x JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled (requires restart)

        Don't display online media content in the media bar
      x Enable Automatic Image Resizing
        Enable Image Toolbar (requires restart)
      x Play animations in web pages
      x Play sounds in web pages
      x Play videos in web pages
      x Show image download placeholders
      x Show pictures
      x Smart image dithering

      Print background colors and images

   Search from the Address bar
      When searching
           Display results, and go to the most likely site
           Do not search from the Address bar
           Just display the results in the main window
         x Just go to the most likely site

      x Check for publisher's certificate revocation
        Check for server certificate revocation (requires restart)
      x Check for signatures on downloaded programs
      x Do not save encrypted pages to disk
      x Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
        Enable Integrated Windows Authentication (requires restart)
        Enable Profile Assistant
      x Use SSL 2.0
      x Use SSL 3.0
        Use TLS 1.0
      x Warn about invalid site certificates
        Warn if changing between secure and not secure mode
      x Warn if forms submittal is being redirected