Re: Wolfram Functions Site

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45710] Re: Wolfram Functions Site
  • From: mt at 3planes.com (Michael Tobis)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:54:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<bua3i4$io9$1 at smc.vnet.net>...
> Thanks for the many responses. It seems that only one other person has a
> slight problem with this.

Most Mathematica users, I would guess, don't use a mass-market ISP,
yet I see you use Earthlink.

It is conceivable to me that some interaction between the Wolfram site
and the Earthlink proxy server is causing your problem. Mass-market
servers use an intermediate layer (a proxy server) to cache as many
images as they can on their own machines rather than going to the
network for each image, often reducing the pixel count as well. This
provides an economy of scale to the largest commercial internet
service providers, but it does occasionally result in perceptible loss
of quality of service to the end user.

Two possible tests: A) someone out there with access to an Earthlink
machine could try to replicate your problem, or B) you could take the
same machine/browser onto another network and try again.

If A fails or B succeeds in rendering the site, you should take this
up with Earthlink. They can probably set a flag somewhere not to cache
the site, if my suspicion is correct about what is going on.

mt
--
Michael Tobis
http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~tobis