Re: Equation counting in arXiv style sheet

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg45858] Re: Equation counting in arXiv style sheet
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:51:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <bute1q$9sm$1 at>, Cheng Liu <cliu at>

>          Recently, I started to use the arXiv
> ( style sheet
> for my technical writing, but found a frustrating bug in it.  There are two
> styles in the style sheet, EquationNumbered and Equation (in some other
> standard style sheets, these correspond to the NumberedEquation and
> DisplayedFormula).  When I first input an equation, which does not have the
> equation number on the right, it behaves normal.  Then if I input a
> numbered equation, the equation number on the right appears as 2 rather
> than 1.  It seems that arXiv counts all equations (numbered or displayed)
> and increment the equation count by one for all of them.  This occurs on
> both PC under WinXP and Mac under OS X 10.3.2.  Any ideas of fixing the
> problem?  Thanks.

Open arXiv.nb (which is the StyleSheet Notebook), scroll down to the
Style Menu Shortcuts section, and select the

   Prototype for Style "Equation"

cell (the inner-most cell bracket). If you unformat this cell (Format
menu | Show Expression) you will see that one of the options for the
Style of Equation cells is

If you delete this option and reformat the cell then Equation cells will
no longer increment the "Equation" counter.

Paul Abbott                                   Phone: +61 8 9380 2734
School of Physics, M013                         Fax: +61 8 9380 1014
The University of Western Australia      (CRICOS Provider No 00126G)
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009                      mailto:paul at