RE: Deviation in plots of same function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg45971] RE: [mg45940] Deviation in plots of same function
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 05:20:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Frank,

You don't tell us what kind of plots you are making or give us examples.

Mathematica approximates a curve by straight line segments. In Plot it uses
an adaptive algorithm to determine the points that define the line segments.
If you use two different plot domains, you will get different sets of points
and the two curves will not lie exactly on top of each other.

The plots might be improved by using the PlotPoints option and increasing
the number of points.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Frank Richter [mailto:Frank.Richter at TU-Berlin.de]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Dear Group,

I define two plots of the same function, but with
different range for the independent variable.

Combining them without options, the two plots
match.

But if I want to enlarge a certain range of the
independent variable deviations become visible.

Why is that and how can I suppress that ?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Frank

Frank Richter
Technical University of Berlin
Department of Nonmetallic-Inorganic Materials
Vitreous Materials
Sekretariat ES 4
Englische Strasse 20
10587 Berlin