Getting rid of ProductLog

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49230] Getting rid of ProductLog
  • From: robert.hulme at (Robert Hulme)
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 02:51:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Could someone please help me?

I'm not a mathematician, but rather a programmer - I'm trying to use
Mathematica to rearrange a formula for me.

I'm trying:

Solve[a^b - b == c, b]

Which gives me:

The problem with this is that I need the solution to use normal
'primitive' (if thats the right word) math functions as I need the
formula for a computer program.

With ProductLog being an internal Mathematica function I cant
therefore use this rearrangement.

What can I do so that there is no ProductLog in there? Please go easy
on me as I'm not a math major :0) or that au fait with Mathematica.

If it helps both a and b are always positive.

Many thanks