Re: DOES MATHEMATICA CHANGE THE SYNTAX EACH NEW RELEASE?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg49254] Re: DOES MATHEMATICA CHANGE THE SYNTAX EACH NEW RELEASE?
- From: "Alan" <info at optioncity.REMOVETHIS.net>
- Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 02:26:28 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
> Does anyone know if Mathematica does this? Do > they rearrange things with new releases? very much? > not much at all? > > Just wondering. Thanks. In my experience, the syntax changes very little over time. However, Ver. 5.0 introduced at least two changes that broke a lot of my earlier code: (1) The syntax for two starting arguments for FindRoot, FindMinimum and similar root finders changed. (2) A new evaluation syntax for these same functions was introduced, the net effect being that you had to force a 'numerical check' on certain arguments to get earlier code to work. This amounted to a syntax change because the 'old' syntax, although legal, didn't work any more in many cases. Hopefully, these functions will now remain stable for many releases. regards, alan