Re: Getting rid of ProductLog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49278] Re: Getting rid of ProductLog
  • From: "Dana" <delouis at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:16:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Here is my attempt using Excel vba.  You need to supply a good initial
guess.  Here, you enter a=3,c=4, and a guess of -1, I get...

Debug.Print MyFunction(3, 4, -1)
-3.98748338411597

and in Mathematica, I get the same answer:

{-c - ProductLog[(-a^(-c))*Log[a]]/Log[a]} /. {a -> 3, c -> 4.}
-3.9874833841159707

Function MyFunction(a, c, guess)
   Dim b As Double
   Dim LastGuess As Double
   Dim Counter As Long

   b = guess
   LastGuess = b + 1 ' Just make it different

   Do While LastGuess <> b And Counter <= 10
      LastGuess = b
      b = (c + a ^ b * (-1 + b * Log(a))) / (-1 + a ^ b * Log(a))
      Counter = Counter + 1
  Loop
   MyFunction = b
End Function

Some functions will return an answer that alternates in the last digit.
Therefore, in some problems, the last guess will never equal the new
guess.(they will be different in the last digit).  Therefore, you need to
account for this.  I just limited the loops to 10.  Adjust to your own
situation.

HTH
Dana DeLouis

news:ccisbq$4de$1 at smc.vnet.net...