Re: Getting rid of ProductLog

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg49292] Re: Getting rid of ProductLog
  • From: "David W. Cantrell" <DWCantrell at sigmaxi.org>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 02:11:32 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Dana" <delouis at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Here is my attempt using Excel vba.  You need to supply a good initial
> guess.  Here, you enter a=3,c=4, and a guess of -1, I get...
>
> Debug.Print MyFunction(3, 4, -1)
> -3.98748338411597
>
> and in Mathematica, I get the same answer:
>
> {-c - ProductLog[(-a^(-c))*Log[a]]/Log[a]} /. {a -> 3, c -> 4.}
> -3.9874833841159707

But note that there is also a positive solution for b, given by using the
other real branch (i.e., the -1 branch) of ProductLog:

In[1]:= -c - ProductLog[-1,(-a^(-c))*Log[a]]/Log[a] /. {a -> 3, c -> 4.}

Out[1]= 1.56192

I would guess it's at least as likely that that would be the desired
solution in the application at hand.

In any event, to get rid of ProductLog, one can of course approximate it
using a truncated version of an appropriate series expansion. For example,
rather than doing what you've shown below to approximate the negative root
in your sample case, we can approximate ProductLog (a.k.a. Lambert W) using
z - z^2 + 3/2 z^3 +-... Using just the three terms shown, we get

In[2]:= ApproxW[z_]:= z - z^2 + 3/2 z^3

In[3]:= -c - ApproxW[-Log[a]/a^c]/Log[a] /. {a -> 3, c -> 4.}

Out[3]= -3.98748

See the Lambert W entry at MathWorld or the ProductLog entry at the Wolfram
Functions site for more information on appropriate series.

David