Re: Fundamental theorem problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg49618] Re: Fundamental theorem problem
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:48:42 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 7/23/04 at 6:01 AM, jonakst at (Steven Jonak)

>I input the command: D[Integrate[Sec[t],{t,1,x^4}],x] expecting to
>get 4x^3 Sec[x^4] but instead got a fairly complicated result that
>doesn't resemble what one would expect from the Fundamental Theorem
>of Calculus.
>What am I doing wrong? Help!

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Mathematica 5.0 by default attempts to give all of the conditions needed to make the result of Integrate valid. I suspect this is what you are seeing. This characteristic can be disabled by using GenerateConditions->False. So, if you do

you will get the result you were expecting.