Launching the Mathematica interface via mathlink

Is this possible? I have some code that interacts with a Mathematica
kernal via mathlink. When it has finished, I'd like to fire up the
Mathematica interface to allow my user to "poke around" in the
results, draw graphs and so on. I know I could just invoke a
Mathematica session from the command line, but how could I then gain
access to this session via Mathlink to set up the appropriate
variables?

Any advice gratefully received,

Peter